For the first time worldwide, the queer history of video games will be explored in a major exhibition: »Rainbow Arcade« will open at Schwules Museum Berlin (SMU) in December 2018 and features a wide variety of exhibits spanning over 30 years of media history, including playable titles, concept drawings, modifications written by fans themselves and documentations of online communities. The exhibition will be taking stock of contemporary pop cultural questions of representation, stereotypical and discriminatory narratives in entertainment media, and our cultural memory.
For this unique project, over 100 objects ranging from 1985 to 2018 will be shown at Schwules Museum, eight of which are planned to be featured as playable exhibits. To fully realize »Rainbow Arcade«, we seek a modern, contemporary exhibition design that manages to reference both historic and current video game culture and appeals to visitors across generations and with/without prior experiences with video games. To fully realize our exhibition, we are looking for an Art Director & Exhibition Designer for the duration of the project (July 1st 2018 – June 30th 2019).
Please make us a financial offer for the development of a key visual and corresponding exhibition design for the entire exhibition space of ~140qm (7m x 20m). The production budget amounts to 10.000€.
- Briefings and workshops with the international curatorial team
- Developing a key visual
- Creative supervision of the exhibition’s catalogue’s crowdfunding campaign (design, mock-up, ads)
- Design & layout of the catalogue (in case of a successful crowdfunding campaign)
- Creating a visual design concept in accordance with SMU’s new CI
- Design of promotional graphics (poster, flyer, social media, etc.) for both the exhibition and the event programme in accordance with SMU’s new CI
- Exhibition design and scenography incl. room planning, lightning, graphics and media
- Drafting an implementation and assembly plan
We are looking forward to receiving your application including portfolio and references until June 24 2018 by email (pdf, 5 MB max) to email@example.com.
We are looking forward to receiving your queries!