The New Schwules Museum* at its New Location
After six months of construction work on a former printing house at Lützowstraße 73, the Schwules Museum* has gotten a 1600m2 make-over.
The ground floor houses four exhibition spaces and a café which can also be used for events. A non-lending library equipped with research spaces for visitors of all genders finds its home along with office spaces and a workshop in the upper floor. The Museum's singular archival holdings have moved into the climate-controlled basement storage areas. In addition to a physical expansion, the move also means a thematic expansion for the museum: The Schwules Museum* will intensify its function as a center of information on the diversity of sexual identities and concepts of gender.
The move was made possible through public funds. The museum was awarded a total of 644,000 euros, contributed in equal parts by the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin (German National Lottery Foundation) and the European Regional Development Fund. Above all, these funds are financing interior construction work which will keep the museum's exhibitions and archive in conformance to international standards.
In addition, the first exhibitions at the new location were partially financed through these funds. The shows Between Tradition and Modern – Early Paintings by Jochen Hass, 1950-1955 and Update* - Artistic Photographs were enjoyed by many visitors. The interim permanent exhibition, Transformation, is still on display.
The Project ESM – Expansion of the Schwules Museum at its new location is kindly supported by the European Regional Development Fund, the Berlin Culture Management in the context of its Cultural Investment Program (KIP) and the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin (German National Lottery Foundation Berlin) (DKLB).